ABOUT

Monday, November 23, 2009

WW1 Badges ~ always sad




I always find old badges like these sad. I wonder who the fellow was. Was the badge made because he was off at war or because he would not be coming home ?
I think I have posted earlier a picture of a Kookaburra War Widows badge. I have had a few of them over the years, but they have all been bigger than this one. I wonder if they started making them smaller because they had to make so many once the AIF moved to the killing fields of France. The number on the back is Q4523. Which would mean I guess this is 4523 badge like this issued in Queensland to war widows. And to put that number in even more context I imagine the great number of war dead were sons rather than husbands.
These badges will be going up on ebay tonight.

6 comments:

  1. Oh that is so sad. You must come across so many little personal items that have untold stories attached...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Katherine, it makes me sad to when I see things like this and I always wonder about the story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by - always lovely to meet a fellow 'vintage' lover.
    Fascinating little badges - what stories there are attached to them- and if only we could hear them.
    Irene :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the most fabulous things about vintage finds is the fact that they all have a history and story to tell. Sometimes we are fortunate enough to learn of their history and other times it's just as fascinating to allow the items to take our imaginations on a possible journey of the piece/s

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only these wonderful things could talk - what a story they'd have to tell! Hope they go to a good home. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read some excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot attempt you place to create the sort of wonderful informative website.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage: cheap party pills

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment we love to read them

Related Posts with Thumbnails