ABOUT

Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Favourite ~ German VASES and POTS







The hard thing when you love all things vintage is finding a style that is really you. I love a little bit of every era and this can be quite a design challenge in a small house. In my lounge room I pretty much have a mid century vibe and in here I can go crazy with my love for German Pottery particularly those made by company Scheurich - Keramik. They were very prolific producing an amazing amount of stuff including lamps and so on and the great thing is they are really economical and interesting pieces. Small vases retail for around $16 and large pots and vases around the $100 depending on rarity, colour etc. I naturally don't keep all I come across and prefer the reds, oranges and brown colours. Thanks to the lovely Anita at Fun and VJs I now fondly call them my "ugly vases". The term "ugly", devised by Anita, is used to describe all the fun, totally non girly but absolutely wonderful, mid century goodies that are so ugly they are fabulous. Every home needs a bit of UGLY I say.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, that sounds like an Anita phrase!

    I am like you with regards to having an eclectic taste. If I see something I like I have to have it, regardless of the period etc.

    I am hoping to visit the gabba antique centre tomorrow. Thought we might have a cuppa and hope that the cinema area will keep the 10 year old amused for a while! I will let you know if I find something!

    Best wishes for a fabulous weekend,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be still my beating heart! My house is overflowing with WG pottery but I can never get enough. Katherine I love yours and now I know that all the true gems will be in your lounge room and not the WAC stall :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, it is very hard when you have a love for vintage. Sometimes you're all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I too love german pottery. Laughed at the 'ugly' phrase, but totally agree ... my home has quite a bit of ugly then! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny... love that phrase.. the UGLY... well will have to go visit Anita...

    You know I can never decide on a favourite style either... always been a blue and dark furniture sort of girl.. but like the lighter french/shabby look also.. too hard.. hahaha.. Have a great weekend Katherine.. xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey all, I do try hard to keep to the oranges, reds and browns Jo. Recently I got a large floor vase in the most wonderful green and brown, it took all my strength to sell it as I don't seem to get as many with greens. But over it went to the WAC and although I don't know who purchased it I'm comforted that I am sure they love it, cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to love the ugly. There's something so sincere about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, interesting! And you know what? They LOOK German to me! Like, if you asked me, "What country do you think these are from?" I would say Germany. Very cool, though, I like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katherine, you've been holding out on me. I knew you liked German pottery but I didn't realise you had such a stash. Gotta love an ugly vase! And thanks for the nice mention.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katherine
    I just got your second comment and laughed.. you are so funny!!! have fun xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I greatly admire german pottery too. I had a jug very similar to teh one in front on the second photo and always regretted selling it as it was so sculptural and strong. But it just didnt go with my pinks and roses at the time. Am being a bit more true to myself these days and keeping what I like if it calls to me!! Check out the matching clock I have in my ebay store currently, bet you didnt know there were matching clocks eh? (oh heck you probably do lol!)
    well better stop blogging and get some sleep!
    alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Katherine, my sister LOVES these vases. I bought her one last year for her birthday. They are a strange look and not really my style but I can see why people love them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment we love to read them

Related Posts with Thumbnails