ABOUT

Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Favourite ~ EKKA

This week past has been the EKKA in Brisbane. What's that all you non Aussies ask? It's Queensland's Show, where the country comes to the city. It is short for Exhibition, but Queenslanders and Australian's in general love to shorten words so it has lovingly become known as "The Ekka". I love going along and seeing all the jams and baked goods, aswell as the art, fruit and not forgetting to mention the cattle. A lot of people complain here about the cost of entry and the fact that it is winter and the air is full of colds and flu but I really enjoy it. I love all the effort put in by the competitors who have taken the time to enter, be it for their jam or their goldfish or chook and also all the country folk who bring their stock to show.
This year with the election on, you might also run into Mark Latham, like Julia Gillard did. Just make sure you do not let him shake your hand. Ha HA!

9 comments:

  1. Love the clown photo!

    Was discussing last night with my husband how there's an Art to mastering the Clowns ... there's a precise moment when you have to pop in the ping-pong ball ... I've never gotten it right.

    Have fun at the Ekka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like so much fun! I love seeing the animals and the hand-crafts! I haven't been to the Ekka but it looks similar to our Royal Agricultural Show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we had so much fun... I love meeting the country folk and dreaming of moving out to the country with them! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I bet you bought a Samboy chip bag too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee I have not been to the Ekka in about 10 years. It still looks the same. Have a great weekend Katherine. Thanks for all the well wishes for the new shop. We are opening next weekend - election day I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katherine, hope you got to see the Winning paintings in the art section won by my two artists!! it was Christine Atkins 17th time she has won first prize! I love the ducks and turkeys as well...its a nostalgic time for us Brissy folk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh now I'm really homesick... LOVE the Ekka. What about those strawberry and cream ice creams??? Great shot too... Great era. Yes, and politics, it's getting so nasty! Pruxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the Royal Melbourne Show so I am sure the Queensland one is a winner too!
    alicia :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rather than shake his hand I think I would simply opt to wring his neck....

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment we love to read them

Related Posts with Thumbnails